Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Cardboard Table ~ Why Not?


Awhile back, I was at a shop waiting for some guys to load a purchase into the back of my truck.  I noticed an empty cardboard tube sitting off to one side.  Curiosity got the best of me, so I asked them what was going to happen to it.  As expected, they were going to throw it out.  So without hesitation, I asked them if I could have it.  "Sure," they said as they let out a little chuckle and loaded it into the back of my truck.

I know for most, this humble piece of cardboard would be headed straight for the recycle bin.  But I just couldn't let it go.  It was strong and durable and I had visions of a side table in my head.  I'm not sure what Penny saw but she seemed quite curious...


She kept hanging around so I had to snap these cute pictures of her. 


I can only imagine what was going through her mind.  Probably something like ~ "Ya know you could be playing fetch with me" ~ and I did ~ some.
 
After awhile she grew bored, but faithfully continued to hang around as I got back to my project. 



On my last post, I experimented with some stencils ~ specifically for use on this table.  I don't want to overdo the use of letters/numbers ~ but I do have a fascination with them.

For this project, I positioned the stencils ~ wrapping them around the cylinder so they are seen from one vantage point.  I taped them into place with blue painter's tape.  Next, I put tick marks on the edges of each stencil so I would know where to reposition them after the following step. 

 

I coated the back of each stencil with several light coats of adhesive spray ~ allowing it to dry so it would be tacky to the touch.



I repositioned the stencils on the tube and taped off areas I wanted to protect from overspray.  Then I lightly sprayed each stencil with several coats of black paint.  I allowed it to dry for several minutes and then carefully removed the stencils, tape and newspaper. 



I think at this point, I was pretty excited about the way the table was going to turn out. 



Done ~ that was it.  I topped the cylinder with a piece of glass and placed it next to a chair in my living room.  



The diameter and height of the cardboard was the perfect size for a table.  I think it turned out pretty cool ~ what do you think?  Now I'm off to grocery shop for the Thanksgiving meal ~ I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving! 

Linking up today: 
Tip Junkie handmade projects

4 comments :

  1. What an amazing idea. I would have never thought to use a cardboard tub for a table. I WANT YOUR DOG!! She is adorable. I love your blog. I'm your newest follower.
    Would love to see you DIY Home Sweet home.
    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    P.S. I have a linky every Monday. Would love for you to stop by and link up.
    P.S.S. I have giveaway going on right now. Would love you to stop by and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't pets the best little helpers! Penny is adorable and so expressive...without really try to be. Love the table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! I found your site through Reagan; we went to college together. Loving your blog and especially the DIYs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kasey ~ I'm glad you stopped by! There will be more DIY's coming soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...